Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Jury Duty - FAIL!

Well, as of 6:30 this morning, I still received the default message when I called the JD number, so I went online and discovered the exact same thing. Show up at 7:45, and call after 7:00 last night for more information. Figured I'd rather show up and have them tell me to go home than to not show up and have them come look for me. Drove to Riverside and found myself in a room full of prospective jurors at a courthouse that has no trials pending. The "lady in charge" had us all wait until she could get in touch with someone in LA (which is where the summonses are sent from). After waiting for a while, she came back to let us know that we were excused and just had to get our summons scanned into the system so we could get paid for the day. I was at work by 9:15, only took a 15 minute lunch, stayed until 4:30 and only lost an hour of work. Not bad, I guess. Would have preferred eliminating the whole wasted trip to Riverside, but I can deal with that.

After work I had some time to kill before meeting FM and Duh at Buffalo Inn for tacos. Went to Borders and wandered around for a bit. As I was leaving, I witnessed an accident. The lady in the vehicle in front of me was making a right-hand turn out of the parking lot and hit a man on a bicycle. I stopped and got out to make sure he was ok - he got up right away and said he was find. I asked if he wanted me to call 911 and he said no, he was equally at fault since he was on the wrong side of the street. The lady checked on him, and then moved her vehicle off his bike. When I went back to Henry to write my name and number down for them both, he told her to go ahead and leave because she had no damage to her car. I gave him my number, but she was already gone so I couldn't give it to her.

And how was your day?


9/3/08 6:34 edited to change the order of the names, as requested in the comment.

9/3/08 5:27 re-edited. After waking up a bit, I realized that "F and Duh", when read, sounds like I'm swearing.

1 comment:

Susan T-O said...

You might want to change the order of the names there. I read it as "Duh and Fat Buffalo," and thought "well that's a rude nickname!"