Saturday, May 10, 2008

Quail Botanical Gardens

What an enjoyable day! Met Sis at Denny's for breakfast (Moons Over My Hammy, if you must know!) and then drove down to the Quail Botanical Gardens in Encinitas. It was a nice drive, actually, even though I don't like driving or passengering. Sis drove, so I just had to relax and converse. Arrived at the QBG and realized that we weren't the only people interested in the chocolate festival. We actually had to park just outside the exit ... and even at that, there wasn't much parking space available! Took the little shuttle ride to the entrance (because one of us is lazy and didn't want to walk up the hill) (no, not her). There were several chocolate vendors with displays set up, and we had to have a couple of samples, of course. I think my favorite booth was O'Gilvie Chocolatier, although Jer's Handmade Chocolates were also quite yummy. Went back later to get more of the Cherry Squares; unfortunately they had run out. Probably for the best . I've added a picture of the Cherry Squares from O'Gilvie, just to tempt you. Sis also tried the chocolate-dipped candied pansies (yes, real pansies) and said they were quite good. Of course, she's probably already blogged about all this ... I had a longer drive home and stopped off to visit with Bubs and LT on the way home.

We then spent quite a while wandering around the Botanical Gardens, and I tried to take some interesting pictures. Unfortunately, what I see in my "mind's eye" and what the camera sees are usually very different things, so most of the pictures were just wasted time. I did get a few interesting plants (and a couple of people whom I don't know). Sis rescued a ladybug from one of the ponds; it decided it liked her and stayed with us until she carefully placed it on a plant. I'm posting a pic of one of the ponds, and a pic of the branch "tunnel". This includes the couple I don't know.

Dad and J leave next week for Canada. They have another wedding to attend at the end of the month so they are making their summer trip a little early this year. I think they'll be coming out this way to do lunch tomorrow, although no definite plans have been made.

No comments: