Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Incompetent Vampires

It really annoys me when the people who are supposed to be able to take blood can't do it. I admit that my veins are a problem, but these are professionals that should be able to get blood from a turnip if need be. First off, I was supposed to be able to arrive at 9:00 and "just have the blood drawn". Got there 15 minutes early and filled out all the paperwork. At 9:35, I asked if they knew how much longer it would be, since I had to get to work. Was told it would just be another couple of minutes. When I went in and sat in "the chair", I told the ... nurse? PA? whatever he was ... that the best place to get blood was from the back of the left hand. Told him that my veins tend to roll. So, he tried (twice) on the left hand, and then at the right elbow (usually the second-best place). He was able to get about 1/8 of an inch worth in the vial.

So, I'm going to wait until after I actually see the doctor next week to see if he really needs me to have the bloodwork done (since I'm not going in about my thyroid anyway) and if necessary I guess I'll have to go to the lab. All that fasting for nothing.

Didn't bring anything for lunch, because I didn't want to leave it in the car while I was at the doctor's office. Had a piece of cinnamon pull-apart at work, and wasn't really hungry at lunchtime but decided to go in and chat, anyway. Kim and Eleanor insisted that I have some of the salad they made - man, was it ever good! Don't know what all it had in it, but there was lettuce (of course) and eggies and yummy dressing (creamy Ranch?) and dill green beans. Yep, you read that right ... dill green beans. They were really good and added a lot of flavor to the salad. I'm glad they convinced me to try it!

Having leftovers for dinner tonight. I "cooked" a meatloaf last night, along with yams and rice. The meatloaf is one that you can purchase pre-made and just microwave for 4 minutes (8 minutes if it is frozen). I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I'm kinda hungry now, but I think I'll wait until about 6:00 to eat. That's been my "usual" dinner time lately.

Barb has some great news -- she may have a new puppy! She is just waiting for all the "t"s to be crossed and the "i"s dotted. He was born on June 14 and she will be able to meet him when he is 5 weeks old. His mom is named Jeta . I sure hope everything goes ok for her!

That's it for now ...

No comments: