Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Too Many Audiobook Hours?

Can there be such a thing as having listened to too many hours of audiobooks? I have been greatly enjoying the James Herriott series, on loan from my sister. The only thing I'm not enjoying is the "end of cd" music. The recordings were apparently transferred directly from tape to cd, so the music comes at odd times throughout the disks, instead of at the end and beginning. I'm sure Sis mentioned that to me when she was listening to them, but I had forgotten until it started happening. Anyway - back to my story. I pulled in to a parking place at work this morning, and sat in the car for a minute, waiting until the story got to a stopping point. Um ... wait ... I wasn't listening to a cd. It was a commercial on the radio. D'oh! I guess it's been quite a while since I listened to the radio.

Speaking of commercials on the radio - one of the gas stations is giving tips for getting better gas mileage. One of these tips is to drive just a little slower. Did you know that driving 55 mph on the freeway, instead of 65, can save you gas? Of course it can, because after you get rear-ended by one or more of the millions of vehicles that are traveling at 90 mph, you don' t have to worry about gas prices. Insurance rates maybe, and new car prices, but not gas mileage.

And - announcing the arrival of James Atticus! He was born via C-section this morning. Weighing in at 9 lb 13 oz, he out-weighed his cousin The Boy by 3 ounces. Mom and baby are doing fine, and a picture will be posted in a few days. Gotta give Mom time to get home from the hospital and send the pictures out. Can't wait to see him!

On a final note (for now), I don't know if it is a good sign or not, but we didn't have a new temp at work today. Was it mis-information, or does that mean I'm doing a good enough job that they don't need anyone else? Which would be good, because it could lead to a permanent job. Guess I'll just continue working as hard as I have been, and hope for the best.

No comments: