Sunday, October 19, 2008

Busy Weekend

Actually have something to post about and I'm too tired to make any sense! Spent the past two days helping out at a Two-Step Dance Festival. One of the coordinators is the sister of Happy, who is Duh's "man". This is the first festival they have had at this location and since it was close to home, Duh decided I needed to get my behind off the couch and be out among living, breathing people. I think it may have shocked her when I agreed to it ... :-)

Technically I was there yesterday as a one-day volunteer but ended up staying for today, too. Most of the time was spent sitting and talking with occasional bursts of work. We helped clean up the hospitality suite after breakfast and again after lunch. Spent some time decorating the pavilion area for the "carnival games" and dinner. Happy and I were in charge of getting contestants for the goldfish game (you know the one, throw a ping pong ball into the goldfish bowl and you get to take home the bowl and fish. We had fifteen bowls with either 2 or 3 fish in each, and were able to get winners for every bowl. Duh said she was kind of surprised at how well I did at getting contestants, because I'm generally rather shy about stuff like that. But I was having fun, and decided most of the people would never see me again, so why not go with the flow! We then had dinner and were "off the clock" for the rest of the evening (the hotel crew said we could wait until today to take down decorations), other than delivering cookies to the dance rooms around 11:00. So, we sat and talked some more, and then sat in the jacuzzi for about 45 minutes (I really need to steal Duh's bathing suit, I liked the way it fit me) and went back to the room. Originally I was going to go home last night since there were already 4 people in the room, but they brought in a rollaway.

Duh and Happy did cookie-duty, and apparently were quite a hit -- they went through half a tray of cookies in the hall before even getting to the ballroom!

Anyway, today was a lot more hanging around and talking until probably about 5:00. Then the hard work started - we had to clean out the rooms and load up the trailer. This took about 3 hours altogether. Well, four if you count the hour or so un-decorating the pavilion earlier.

And now I am exhausted. Never did get a chance to tell Duh that I have to skip out on the birthday celebration at the bar ... but I'm going to meet her after work all week to get her stuff packed up for the move to Happy's. It was a nice weekend; I met some nice people and will help out again (if I'm asked).

No comments: