Sunday, February 15, 2009

Daytona

Today was the Daytona party -- wasn't really sure if I was going to go or not, but had just decided to call Duh and tell her that I'd be there when she called to see if I were joining them. She even told me that at Bunko last night, the hostess for today had specifically asked if I were going to be there. Kinda made me feel good ...

Anyway, we got there in plenty of time to join in all the betting pools. The "main pool" was handled very well -- it is a very random draw for your driver. First step is taking a numbered chip from a bag. This determined the order in which we'd pick drivers. Step two was taking another number from another bag; this corresponded to the starting position of the driver. I ended up with Jimmie Johnson (a name I actually recognized) and was told that he was a good driver to have. Cash was given for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place. Needless to say, he didn't win.

There was also "commercial poker" ... they had a large board with everyone's name in a square. Every time there was a commercial break during the race, a card was drawn and added to each persons' hand on the board. Best hand after 5 draws won $32 bucks.

The third pool was set up like the typical football pool except instead of drawing numbers randomly for the across and down columns they chose driver names. The winner of the pool was the person who's name was in the intersecting square. 1st, 2nd and 3rd place prizes were also awarded for this one. Happy won 1st place on that one.

Afterwards we stopped at Circuit City because Happy wanted to buy some dvds. He found quite a few that he wanted; and they also bought all 4 of the Indiana Jones movies for me, because Duh can't believe I've never seen them.

Finished watching "Untraceable" tonight - I had started it this morning and had to leave for the Daytona party. It was a pretty good movie; a couple spots that I kinda didn't watch, but overall a good movie.

No comments: